Tag Archives: P.I.–Elder Abuse

Elder Abuse at Assisted Living Facilities (RCFE)

Assisted living facilities in California, also called board and care or retirement homes, are regulated by the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.  A seniors assisted living facility is officially known as a residential care facility for the elderly, or rcfe.

An rcfe can only operate if it has an active license issued by the California Department of Social Services.  An rcfe license is conditioned upon compliance with hundreds of state laws and regulations that apply to rcfe’s.  An rcfe license is a license to care for and supervise its residents as to activities of daily living.

We place our loved ones, such as our fathers or mothers, in rcfe’s because these seniors can no longer live fully independently.  However unfortunately, there are lots of poorly run rcfe’s Continue reading